UHMW-PE: Stronger, Lighter and Less Expensive
Soucy Plastiques uses a compression moulding process that allows us to produce, from a UHMW-PE powder, a wide range of parts to suit your needs. These parts can be machined or integrated with other materials such as rubber.
More and more manufacturers choose UHMW-PE instead of metals, alloys and other plastics to benefit from the following advantages:
- Less expensive than steel and other metals
- Suitable for the manufacturing of complex or detailed parts
- Ideal for combining multiple parts into a single one
- Corrosion resistant, providing a perfect alternative to metal
- Resistant to abrasion, wear and impact, better than carbon steel
- Excellent adhesion to rubber and metal
- Nontoxic, approved by the FDA and USDA: ideal for food applications
- Sliding, with a low coefficient of friction
- Flexible, shape-memory polymer
- Unbreakable with high break elongation
- Inert and resistant to many chemicals
- Sound absorbing, unlike metals
- Waterproof, does not swell
- Resistant to a wide range of temperatures (-73 to 80 °C)
- Thermo-dimensionally stable
- Suitable for manufacturing colored parts, and even parts with patterns
What is UHMW-PE?
The ultra-high molecular mass polyethylene is primarily a material that is used to manufacture very complex parts. UHMW-PE parts can replace those produced with steel, aluminum, various metals and other polymers. An opaque polyolefin with a crystalline structure, also known under the names of high-performance polyethylene (HPPE) and very high molecular weight polyethylene, UHMW-PE is a plastic used in the manufacturing of parts that are under a high level of stress. The extremely high molecular weight (up to 9,000,000 Daltons) and long chain conformation give the UHMW-PE its properties, even though it is lighter than metal. Its extreme resistance to physical forces and chemicals as well as its self-lubricating and slick surface prevent clogging and adhesion (see the UHMW-PE specifications).
About Soucy Plastiques
Founded in 1981, Soucy Plastiques, Inc. specializes in the manufacturing of compression moulded UHMW-PE products. We offer our exceptional experience in designing solutions for the moulding of UHMW-PE parts by direct compression as well as for extrusion sinterization of profiles.
Phone: +1 612 3259785
Fax: +1 877 7650533